Be Smart & Don’t “Crash” This Post-Holiday Season!
After the holidays, we may feel swollen, bloated, and heavy. This is the time the diet industry blows up the internet, TV Commercials, and billboards on every corner saying that we need the latest and greatest 3-Day Cleanse, or 10-Day detox. These detox and cleansing products claim rapid weight loss, happiness, beauty, and everything one could ever dream of. But if you truly think about your body, how could 3 juices a day sustain your lifestyle, or how could 2 pills a day make you loose 25 pounds in a week? It simply is not sustainable.
For example, over the holidays you may have indulged in a few treats and cocktails. And that is completely okay! But you may feel guilty or feel the need to workout more to burn off all the calories you consumed over the holidays. But if you really think about it, a few bad meals will not make you fat. If you were enjoying time with family and friends while enjoying your treats and cocktails, then you have nothing to feel bad about. So, instead of trying a quick fix to lose the weight, try these five simple tips!
- Drink water. If you cannot stomach plain water all the time, then add some lemons, cucumbers, or berries in your water for extra flavor and added benefits the fruit may give.
- Eat clean 80% of the time, but treat yourself 20% of the time to a dinner out with friends, or a sweet treat you want. Imagine your whole year is a pool of water, holidays are red food coloring, and the rest of the year is plain water. A few indulgences during the holidays will not make your pool turn bright red. Instead, the red die will fade into the rest of the pool and the pool will return to normal. This is how the 80/20 rule works. A few indulgences during any holiday, or even any regular day is perfectly okay as long as you eat clean 80% of the time.
- Make a workout routine. Add in weights and mix some HIIT/Cardio with your routine to see results fast. (Strength training and HIIT/Cardio will get you fast and sustainable results… not detoxes or cleanses.)
- Stay Consistent. Do not expect to lose weight in a week, or see an immediate 6-pack overnight. These changes take time and effort. Soon, you will see that you can fit into those jeans without having to dance all over the room to stretch them out. Stay consistent with clean eating and working out 3-5 days a week, and you will be seeing results soon enough!
- Be realistic. Do not spend $1,200 a month for a gym or fitness membership thinking that you will loose all your weight by the next morning. Find a gym that fits your life style because there is not point going to a gym that you don’t feel comfortable at or that you dread going to. Find a place that you have fun at and look forward to going to. If you are a runner, don’t go to a gym that only has weights and vise versa. Do your research first, be smart, and don’t waste your money!